There were fifteen DEs taken in the 2020 draft. Just as we see with O-Linemen with regard to interiors and OTs, some "edge" players get counted as EDGE/OLBs, while others are true DEs. The count of fifteen is clean, however. That said, this was a kind of a ho-him draft with respect to DEs. There were only five DEs drafted within the first 100 selections, with a sharp drop-off after Chase Young. This draft should have more distribution early on with a good offering of talent within every round.
1) Gregory Rousseau | 6'5 | 260 | DE/EDGE | Miami -
Rousseau has excellent size with a resume to match, albeit not real deep at this point. He blew up last year and posted an amazing 15.5 sacks. His stats aren't manufactured, as he was a terror in almost every game contest. The Canes moved him around, as he logged snaps at NT, DT, DE and EDGE. He looked the part in each. He plays with leveled quickness and hand usage. He has a nose for the ball, always seems to be in on the play or close by. He can use power to drive the blocker back, or beat him with dip/rip moves. He's a beast on loop stunts, as he's way too quick for OGs to handle him.
2) Kwity Paye | 6'3 | 277 | DE | Michigan -
Paye is one of my favorite players to watch, irrespective of position. He offers up great size and is a straight dawg at the LOS, not backing down to anyone. While good-sized, he fires off the ball and plays with nice quickness. That said, he has plenty of strength, able to stack the LOS and hold the edge in contain. Last season, he faced some very good OTs at Iowa and Alabama and he more than handled his own against them.
3) Carlos Basham | 6'4 | 275 | DE | Wake Forest -
Basham was very solid in 2018, then turned the corner in 2019 with 11 sacks. He has great size and is equally adept at playing the run as he is creating pressure vs. the pass. Boogie, as referred to by his teammates and friends alike, plays with an active motor and gets a lot of production through sheer effort and will power.
4) Aidan Hutchinson | 6'5 | 278 | DE | Michigan -
Hutchinson has great size and is a beast against the run. He takes on OTs quite well, is able to string plays out until the cavalry comes. While he's certainly more of a stout rock than a finesse edge rusher, he can create pressure. He uses his plus strength and size well to grind through blockers on his way into the backfield.
5) Patrick Jones II | 6'5 | 260 | DE | Pittsburgh -
Jones has the physical attributes you want from a DE. He fires off the ball well and creates a good up field surge as a pass rusher. His dip and rip move around the edge is one of the best you'll see in this draft. He does a good job of making OTs over set, compromising their inside for counter moves. He's solid against the run, shows good arm extension while keeping his outside free to secure edge containment. Most of his 8.5-sack production was all his doing.
6) Xavier Thomas | 6'2 | 265 | DE/EDGE | Clemson -
Thomas lacks ideal height for the DE spot, but it doesn't seem to be an issue. He's lightning quick and plays with enough strength to set the edge along the outside. He can play in space quite well, is a backside menace as he's able to chase plays down in pursuit. His production has been limited thus far due to a reduced snap count, but when 100% in the mix he's one to be accounted for every play. His ability to slip blocks and run the arc is impressive.
7) Jayson Oweh | 6'5 | 257 | DE | Penn State
8) Patrick Johnson | 6'3 | 255 | DE | Tulane
9) Osa Odighizuwa | 6'2 | 280 | DE | UCLA
10) Thomas Booker | 6'3 | 280 | DE | Stanford
11) Isaiahh Loudermilk | 6'7 | 296 | DE | Wisconsin
12) LaBryan Ray | 6'3 | 285 | DE | Alabama
13) Joshua Kaindoh | 6'6 | 260 | DE | Florida State
14) Victor Dimukeje | 6'2 | 265 | DE | Duke
15) Micheal Clemons | 6'5 | 270 | DE | Texas A&M
16) Chris Turner | 6'3 | 255 | DE | Missouri
17) Mustafa Johnson | 6'2 | 285 | DE | Colorado
18) Jonathan Cooper | 6'4 | 257 | DE | Ohio State
19) Justin Foster | 6'2 | 265 | DE | Clemson
20) LaRon Stokes | 6'4 | 270 | DE | Oklahoma
21) Jordan Smith | 6'6 | 250 | DE | UAB
22) Big Kat Bryant | 6'4 | 247 | DE | Auburn
23) Tarron Jackson | 6'2 | 270 | DE | Coastal Carolina
24) Tyreke Smith | 6'3 | 267 | DE | Ohio State
25) Malik Herring | 6'3 | 280 | DE | Georgia
26) Rashad Weaver | 6'4 | 270 | DE | Pittsburgh
27) Ronnie Perkins | 6'3 | 280 | DE | Oklahoma
28) Keion White | 6'3 | 251 | DE | Old Dominion
29) William-Bradley King | 6'3 | 250 | DE | Baylor
30) Eli Howard | 6'3 | 270 | DE | Texas Tech
31) Boye Mafe | 6'4 | 260 | DE | Minnesota